Monday 31 October 2011

Fun DIY




Turn any surface into a Magnetic Chalkboard

I recently turned a bare wall in our living room into a magnetic chalkboard.  The wall is an odd shape as it is the side to our staircase and we hadn't figured out what to do with it in the 3 years we have been in our house.  I am always looking for activities for my kids to do and my oldest son Hunter (2yrs old) has taken an interest in colouring lately.  (Sorry I didn't have the pictures for each step)

Step1-  Wash the walls surface area where you want to paint
Step 2- Apply the magnetic paint to the wall and let dry over night (repeat the next day for the second coat)
Step 3- Apply the chalkboard paint over the magnetic paint and let dry over night (repeat the next day for the second coat)
Step 4- Put up a border around the chalkboard area (you don't have to do this but I like the way it looks.  If you don't want a border I suggest you tape off the area before you paint for a cleaner look)
Step 5- Put up magnets and write on it with chalk!

I also like to use the chalkboard paint on containers to label thing in my kitchen!  You can use either paint anywhere in your house.... it's not just for kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment